The Best Seafood for the Planet Is Also the Cheapest


While of late I’ve been writing about climate and carbon footprints, fish and shellfish are my bread and butter. Over the course of a trilogy of books, I’ve tracked issues of overfishing, aquaculture, and health up and down the marine food chain. So it’s no surprise when I set out to write my latest book, The Climate Diet, I ended up looking at the carbon footprint of seafood.

There are many reasons to be careful with our seafood consumption. Since World War II, humans have quadrupled the amount of wildlife they remove from the sea annually, to the point where we now extract about 85 million tons on a yearly basis—the equivalent of the human weight of China. The damage all of this causes is getting more and more attention. Over fishing, sea slavery, the destruction of the marine environment and many of the other problems that plague the seafood industry were explosively catalogued in this year’s controversial Netflix documentary, Seaspiracy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tasty facts you might not know about M&M's

The Worst Fast-Food Beverages in America

20 Instant Pot dishes that are worth trying